Trying to be Positive

Today was uneventful, uninsightful and overall disappointing on the Joe front. I called to check on him after finally finding out where he was. I talked to a social worker who was supposed to call me back with a status update, but that didn’t happen. I even waited patiently until the end of the day before calling back four times. The line just rang and rang. No voicemail. Nothing. It just rang until it hung up on me. I didn’t cry today though. So that’s good. I actually felt calm and peaceful. I think part of it is knowing that there is someone looking into it that will be getting back to me to tell me what’s going on. They didn’t call me today, but I don’t expect them to work miracles. So I’m trying to sit and wait patiently while my heart is breaking a little more by the minute knowing he is in there all alone and that nobody is talking to him or touching him and those two things are so important when a person is in a coma, but the people who run prisons don’t care, because they don’t look at prisoners as people. They are just a number. Just a dollar amount. I’m sure he would have been dead by now if he didn’t have me listed as his emergency contact, but he knew something like this was going to happen. He told me more than once that he wasn’t safe. I just underestimated what he meant. I’ve been so wrapped up in all of this for the last few days, I’ve totally forgotten about my regular life. I haven’t really talked to anyone. I finally spoke with one of my good friends earlier today while I was at work. And I met my sister tonight for a drink and then my brother showed up where we were and we had a good time and had some laughs, but aside from them and the people I work with, I’ve barely had a conversation with anyone. And I’m ok with that for now.

On a happier note, Mel is completely enjoying high school. Today was just his second full day, but he didn’t walk in the door until 8pm because he stayed at school to watch a football scrimmage and when he got in, he was exhausted and ready for bed. He was asleep by 10:30 which has been unheard of for the last three months. The only time he has been asleep by 10:30 all summer was when it was 10:30am and he fell asleep as the sun was coming up. Getting back into the swing of things is taking a little getting used to for him. For those of you who remember his closet science experiment, I was wrong. It didn’t die. It is still alive and well and smelling up the place.  I keep giving it another week and the kid and the experiment keep surprising me. Maybe I raised a botanist after all, but one of them is getting ready to get evicted and it’s not the kid.

Anyway, I’m still collecting prayers and well wishes and good vibes for Joe. Tomorrow is another day, I’m hopeful that it will include some news. Hopefully some good news.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s